Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It has been a productive week. A lot has happened since I pulled the bowls out of the kiln on Sunday. Opening a glaze kiln is very exciting. It's like Christmas morning. Everything is glistening with colorful glaze. It is always a surprise to see how your work has transformed from bisqueware to finished ceramic ware.
While painting my work with glaze I have to visualize what I think the piece will look like when it is fired. The glaze goes on chalky. Glaze doesn't take on color until after it reaches it's temperature and the silica (sand) in the formula turns to glass. You really don't know what your piece will look like until you open the kiln. So while decorating you hope you know what you're doing... even when you know what you're doing. Firing pottery is a lot of chemistry and physics and mostly magic.
After pulling out my bowls, I took photographs of them. Four each for Noodleville so that people could get a good idea of what they looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment