Sunday, October 4, 2009

Autumn Art

Get ready Noodle! We have some art to create! October is a busy month in our local art world. We have Ventura Art Walk coming up October 24 & 25. AND our 5th Annual Dia de los Muertos Art Exhibit October 22 - November 7 with the Celebration on Monday November 2.

Noodleville will be selling our Bowls of Abundance in the garden at Stoneworks this time around. A new experience for Noodle. She's been an on-line cat now she's going to be face to face with people. Will she hiss? Will she run for cover? Or will she purrrr... She's got to get her inventory together. We are still building and glazing and firing bowls!

My friend Michelle Chapin has a big vacant lot next to her stone carving studio, Stoneworks that she has transformed into a green oasis on Ventura Avenue. A great place for a cat to chase butterflies... or be chased by a chihuahua!!!

For 18 years Michelle has participated in Art Walk. She opens her space up to other artists in Ventura to display work. She loves art and has a community spirit. She likes to throw a party and have live music, delicious food. Michelle and her partner Guy are also organizing another community art installation project like their "Door Project" with chairs and bicycles. The vibe is very cool and it reminds me of events I attended as a child in the 60's. I am very excited to be a part of this event.

So Noodle and the other cool cats from Art & Soul are setting up a double wide booth filled with ceramic goodies at Stoneworks. I don't know about Noodle but I am looking forward to hanging out in the garden, talking art, listening to music & selling Bowls of Abundance. We'll be there Saturday October 24 1-9pm and Sunday Oct 25 12-4pm.

We also have the Dia de los Muertos Art Exhibit and Celebration opening on October 22 at The Laurel Gallery & Gallery 255. This will be our 5th annual event! All local Ventura artists are invited to participate by entering artwork in the Dia de los Muertos theme. The art intake is scheduled for October 16 5-8pm and October 17 2-5pm.

The Celebration will be held on Monday November 2. We will be having a Full Moon that night which is very auspicious. Xavier Montes will be playing his harp again this year. MB Hanrahan is talking about a perform piece and I will be setting up an installation in Gallery 255.

My installation will be in honor of my parents, grandparents and aunt. When I get overwhelmed with the idea of putting on another "Muertos" I stop and change my perspective: I'm throwing a party for my family that I miss. I plan to pull my work table out of my art studio which originally was my Grandma Perottini's dining table and set it for a family dinner.

There will also be the Community Altar in Laurel Gallery for the public to participate in. All attendees are encouraged to place a tribute to a loved one who has passed from our world in to the next. This is a great "public" installation. I enjoy watching it grow and change with the addition of family photos, mementos and objects.

So with these two big events, Noodle & I must scamper off because we got things to do!!!

So Noodle get ready!!! Here we go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment